So for the blog today we were supposed to describe our hometown.
I am from Nashua, IA which is a really small town in Northeastern Iowa. My town is so small that we only have one restaurant, two gas stations, no movie theater, no bowling alley, and nowhere to shop (closest place is about 30 min away) In my town, everyone knows everyone, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. I would say that in general, we would have a 6 out of 10. I think that the sense of community helps with being happy but since there is a lack of things to do I think that decreases it quite a bit.
That really stinks that you did not have anything to do in your town. In my town there was usually stuff to do but sometimes not and i can relate to you on small towns and how people are nice because when i see my cousins they live in small towns and people there are really nice.
ReplyDeleteNashua sounds exactly like my hometown. Small place where everyone knows everyone. In fact, I've been to Nashua a couple times to play sports, and the overall atmosphere reminds me a lot of my hometown.
ReplyDeleteI feel like small towns like that are almost just neighborhoods. Small close together, but still have the idea that there is more out there. So its a stop to sleep and gather, but then go off when you have things to do.
ReplyDeleteNot having things to do is so hard to cope with and can take away some of the happiness, but being able to feel like you are a part of as community would be nice because you feel like a part of something bigger than just yourself.
ReplyDeleteNashua seems like a town where personal relationships matter a lot. With little outside entertainment, it seems like a community that relies on each other for it. Were people generally close in the town? What did community entertainment revolve around? Sports? Although small, it's helped shape you into the wonderful young woman you are. Good for you for coming to Storm Lake and stepping outside of your comfortable box a bit!
ReplyDeleteI think that people were generally pretty close but sometimes knowing everybody and everything had its disadvantages. The community entertainment was definitely the high school sports. I remember having very big crowds especially when I played basketball, which was really cool. Now I go back to the games when I go home as well. Yes, coming to Storm Lake for school was definitely a big thing for me especially because I am really close with my family and they are 3 hours away now but I'm glad that I made the decision I did :)
Delete