We were supposed to look at the first chapter of the Thrive book we are reading for this class and I decided that I liked a quote by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi the best. The quote is:
"As many a thinker since Aristotle has said, everything we do is ultimately aimed at
experiencing happiness. We don't really want wealth, or health, or fame as such---we
want these things because we hope they will make us happy. But happiness we seek not
because it will get us something else, but for its own sake."
I really thought this quote was interesting because many people think that money can buy you happiness or just material things in general. The funny thing is that we may not really want those things, we just want the happiness that we think will come from having those things. The thing is though, the things that we think should make us happy really do not and could actually cause you more problems instead. I think what we should do is be happy with the things we have and the people we have in our lives because that is all we really need to be happy.
Lacey, I'm really impressed that you took on spelling this guy's name. He is a really interesting theorist. He writes about "flow" experiences, which are experiences we get so engaged in that we lose track of time. Flow activities can be things like sports--basketball??--music, writing, etc.
ReplyDelete